Champaner

Champaner
Champaner World Heritage Site, Gujarat, India

Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 2-3, 2011

Home for the next 2 weeks!
Julia, Archana, Missy, Archana's husband
“In India your senses will awaken.”  This was the advice of those who have been to India, and it was perhaps the best advice to receive.  My arrival in Mumbai late July 2nd and thanks to the Indian national sitting next to me on the plane I knew I needed to get to the “domestic” airport from the international airport in order to make my way to Vadodara.  This wasn’t a big deal since my flight to Vadodara wasn’t for another 8 hours or so.  The next morning arrived quickly and next thing I knew I met up with Julia (colleague from Florida visiting the same Indian school with the IREX program) for the first time after corresponding with her for the past 7 months.  It was like we knew each other for eons as we chatted about our travels and anticipations surrounding our upcoming experience.  We boarded the plane for Vadodara and an hour later we were at our destination where Archana (my host) and Mamta (Julia’s host) greeted us.  

The early morning journey to the hotel gave new meaning to “Share the Road” signs seen all around the United States.  Cattle, donkeys, dogs, cyclists, auto-rickshaws (more on them later!), cars, buses, and pedestrians all using the roads at the same time where staying in lane is only a suggestion rather than a law to be heeded!  It was amazing sight to see and even more amazing to hear about the low number of accidents amongst all who share the road.  Julia and I were dropped off at the Ginger Hotel at about 7AM and where the receptionists were kind enough to provide us with our room immediately. 

After a much needed nap, Mamta picked us up for lunch at her home.  There we shared a meal with her mother, daughter, and Anna (teacher from Poland in the same program).  My epicurious journey has begun!  Lunch was a delight as I soon realized the social importance of food to bring together people, and to stimulate lively and entertaining conversation.  After another nap, Archana joined by her son and husband picked Julia and I for dinner at Pizza Hut. It’s always fun to see how chain restaurants from the United States modify their menus for those living in other countries.  Here, the modifications mostly came in the form of additional herbs and spices typically used in Indian foods, and I’m not sure if I can eat another classic Italian pizza again after tasting one with the classic flavors of India.  After our tasty repast and enjoyable conversation it was finally time to crash for the night; much needed after a long journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment